If you’re dealing with mold, then you’ll want to get it removed as quickly as possible. But before you decide to try cleaning a hazardous material by yourself, you’ll need to keep a few things in mind. Mold cleaning requires specialty cleaners and a hefty dose of experience. You can’t just spray it with your bleach-based cleaners and call it good! In fact, if you clean mold improperly, it can be extremely dangerous to your health, and it can easy cause the mold to spread even more! That’s why we’ve put together this list of what not to do when cleaning mold.
But first, welcome! In case you’re new to this blog series, we’re a team of cleaning and restoration specialists based in Colorado Springs. We love educating people about the cleaning and restoration industry so they can get the expert advise whenever they need it! In this blog post, we’ll talk about what not to do when cleaning mold. Then, we’ll tell you how you can speak with a mold specialist near you for free!
One of the most common misconceptions about cleaning mold is that “bleach is the solution”. While bleach can be effective at killing mold on non-porous surfaces, such as tiles, it’s not effective on porous materials like drywall or wood. Not only that, but over-using bleach can cause harmful fumes to be released into the air.
If you don’t have much experience in cleaning mold, then we would recommend avoiding bleach altogether. Instead, use white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, or tea tree oil to kill the mold before scrubbing it away.
Using fans to dry out moldy areas may seem like a good idea, but it can actually make the problem worse. Fans can blow mold spores around your home and spread the problem to other areas. Additionally, high-powered fans can dry out the mold and cause it to release more spores into the air.
Vacuum cleaners can be effective at removing mold spores from surfaces, but only if they have HEPA filters. Regular vacuum cleaners can blow mold spores into the air and spread the problem to other areas of your home. A HEPA filter traps the mold spores and prevents them from spreading.
Ignoring mold problems can lead to serious health issues, as mold can cause respiratory problems, allergic reactions, and even neurological problems. If you suspect that you have mold in your home, it’s important to address the problem immediately. Don’t wait until the problem gets worse and requires more extensive (and more expensive) removal!
One of the most important things to remember when dealing with mold is this: if you have little to no experience in mold removal, then don’t try to tackle your mold problem without professional help! Cleaning mold is dangerous, and if not done correctly, can lead to serious health problems. Mold spores can be easily spread throughout your home, and even a small patch of mold can quickly turn into a much larger problem.
Cleaning mold can be dangerous! Don’t try to do it on your own without professional help! Rather than stressing about what not to do when cleaning mold, you should focus on the one thing that you should do: call your local mold removal professionals.
That’s where we can help. Like we mentioned earlier, we’re a team of cleaning and restoration specialists based in Colorado Springs. If you’re a resident of southern or central Colorado, then we’d be happy to help with your mold problem! Request your free consultation and estimate today!